Pages

Wednesday 4 March 2015

Things For 'That Time' Of The Month



'Mother Nature, can you come back another month plz? Ty' 

If you haven't guessed already, it's my time of the month, so I am currently writing this from the sofa whilst spooning a hot water bottle eating all the chocolate in the store cupboards. Not the most glamorous of get-ups, but desperate times... 

Now if you're like me (it's most likely); hormones drive you a little crazy (to say the least!) and the stomach pain is sometimes unbearable and the whole 3-7 day period is just plain uncomfortable, here are a few things you can rely on to make myself feel more human when Mother Nature calls.

Herbal Tea
I love a classic cuppa when I am feeling worse for wear, but herbal teas are brilliant for soothing cramps, and as they are caffeine free they are the best before bed, when the pain is usually the worst. My favourite is Pukka's Womenkind tea; with liquorice root, chamomile and vanilla; first up it smells amazing, and it's sweetness keeps (some of) the cravings at bay, but all of the ingredients are best for relaxing and soothing sore stomachs.

A small bag of emergency supplies 
It's good to keep a small, discrete pouch in your bag, that doesn't scream 'Hey everyone, I'm on my period! So yes, that's why I'm being a moody bitch today'. It's good to avoid that kind of honesty. I use a H&M pouch (they are dead cheap, always in stock in different designs) and in it I keep: some towels and tampons (obviously), paracetamol (for pain relief) a mini The Body Shop Eau De Toilette Spray (for feeling fresh), mint tea bags (to settle my stomach) and hairbands (because there's nothing more annoying than hair getting in my face, especially when I'm just not in the mood). It keeps everything in one place, and stops you from forgetting anything important when you need it the most.

Spot treatments 
The biggest burden of that time of the month are the spots that populate my face, and in places I never get them. However I recently discovered a few LUSH products that actually make a difference; Grease Lightning Spot Treatment, Catastrophe Cosmetic Face Fask and Tea Tree Toning Water to name a few. The products from the Good Things range, which is available in Boots, are also amazing for busting blemishes, or, if you have the budget for it, the Origins Super Spot Remover is all kinds of awesome.

Oil based skincare
Although I get spotty when I'm on my period and by logic, oil based products would in fact, make the breakouts worse, but using said spot treatments can be very drying on the skin, and already being a girl with dry skin, this means hydrating products such as oil cleansers and treatments are high on my agenda. For that I will refer to my post featuring my favourite things for dry skin spells. During 'that time' it's good to keep hydrated on the outside too, so keep large bottles of water and herbal tea nearby. Your skin will thank you for it.

Chocolate (for the cravings!)
I think this one goes without saying, but with low magnesium levels and tendencies to act like a total bitch, chocolate seems to solve a good portion of problems I have on my period. In fact, anything containing chocolate will do - usually I favour a double chocolate digestive or three but whatever you want. You're mind is telling you no, but your body is telling you yes - no, I'm not suggesting to give some Bump and Grind, but to listen to your cravings for those few days of the month. You deserve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment