Pages

Friday 5 September 2014

5 Things Before 'The First Day'




It's your first day at a new college or university. Its bigger, bolder and very different. I am ready to endeavour on my final, third year of college, but two years ago on my first day; I was bricking it. I wish I had someone to tell me how to deal with all the new experiences college brings: from wearing your own clothes (for school kids that suffered under thick shirts and terrible ties) to choosing your own subjects, to the crazy workload. Nevertheless I hope that today I can be that person - just think of me as your big sister for the next five paragraphs!

1) Do your homework
No, not completing essays (although, do that too!) but before starting refresh your memory on your courses and their content. I know I always feel more confident when I know what to expect and what's going to happen, so this step is a must for any fellow control freaks out there! If you are studying away from home, or even in a part of town you are not quite sure of, begin to search for local coffee shops, the cheapest lunch, and spots to study or chill out - aka the perfect spots for mornings or afternoons off!

2) Keep it low-key
If you are currently stressing out about what your first day outfit will be, stop now. If you are planning on stuffing your large tote until the poppers can't close shut, empty it. College is not the place for high-maintenance - as long as you keep clean and feel comfortable you will look the part. 

3) Grab your uniform
As mentioned in point 1, most colleges and sixth form have no clothing restrictions, so you are probably very confused/on the verge of a breakdown when reading the title of this point. But I don't mean it in the literal sense. When last minute back to college clothes shopping, find items from high street stores (because us students ain't go no time for labels) that you can mix and match seamlessly, so those 'nothing to wear' mornings are a thing of the past.

4) Be prepared
Most college websites will have equipment and textbook details listed on their course guides - so not only can you grab them before they are gone, but you'll have more effective study time. More study = less stress = win win. 

5) Be yourself
A saying to stick by in this situation is to 'start as you mean to go on'. Take the courses you love, talk to who you want and look the part. The best thing about college is that most schoolyard cliques are a thing of the past, so embrace your freedom and be who you want to be. I am miles more confident, independent and happy than 2 years ago, and I have college to thank! And for when I am feeling not so cocky and confident, I have coffee and concealer to thank.


No comments:

Post a Comment